Sunday, July 10, 2005

Bridesmaid

I've never been a bridesmaid before. Hence, I was excited to hear that my friend might be geting married soon and being a close friend, I volunteered to be hers. While she had already received lots of self-recommendations, she said she would like me to be her bridesmaid cox her prerequisite is that her bridesmaids cannot be taller than her. Great! I'll have little competition then. *hee* I realised that for once my petite frame has served me well.

With more and more friends or colleagues around me getting married, I have started to observed more about how it is all done. I'm not sure if it's a national phenomenon or is it usual outside Singapore that people actually plan their housing and stuff way before the official proposal comes. Perhaps due to the unique structure of our housing system or the costliness of our housing , all this is necessary if you do not want to be caught without a nest after you have exchanged those sacred vows. Think I still prefer the good old fashion wow-me-with-an-out-of-the-world proposal before we even speak of anything else. Cox to me, to start planning for anything before the proposal, is like saying yes before you are even asked a question.

To counter the problems with our unique housing requirements and costs, perhaps every girl should be entitled to 2 proposals - the housing/engagement proposal and the official marriage proposal. If not, wow us with a marriage proposal with everything else planned such that we can get married the next day. How's that for a fairytale union?

No comments: