Saturday, June 11, 2005

To Krakow

After five hours of solid walking, and seven hours of sound sleep, I feel reborn, recharged...ready to embrace the day and all its surprises... given the time lag, I woke up at 0430H today as I have known I would... outside my hostel is a little pretty courtyard with a small fountain and bright cheery flowers...it is always so nice to come too Europe in the summer even if just because of the flowers... just rows and rows of them like little bright people lined up to sing their national anthem.

Before I go to my next destination, I thought I would give a short introduction of the next place that I would be going to: Krakow

Krakow is the third largest city in Poland and in 1038, it was the capital of Poland's Piast Kings. Reputed to be one of the most beautiful and intact city of Poland, it is a definite must-see. Krakow has been very fortunate in a sense during the second world war and was saved just in time by the Soviet army which forced the Germans to evacute the city before destruction could take place. Thus, most of the old buildings are still very much intact and according to Lonely Planet, Krakow is Poland's only large city that has its old architecture almost intact... (to be continued)

No comments: