Monday, June 20, 2005

Learning...

its been a long time since I learnt about things that matter to me as a person... For the longest time in my fourth year, I was caught up with getting the best grades...

I think it was the last strive to make something out of my university life in the way that Singaporeans only know how to - to be the best measuring only by the insitutional recognition that we get...in other words, how many As we have. So there I was the master of differentiation; of telling u what is the most optimal choice in a question that was hardly reflective of reality. Yet I know nothing about the philospohical strands of economic thought and I have never read the original text of Adam Smith nor Karl Marx (okay I did try and read one of the books by Karl Marx but was too busy with work..excuses, excuses).

I am not saying that all these technical knowledge are not important but the true nature of learning was simply lost on me while I pursued that all important Dean's List and As... I was becoming the very people that I did not want to be like! Far away in the deep recesses of my memory, I recalled the vague image of a girl who had wanted to take certain courses just because it interests her and the girl who was extremely irked by those who said they did this course and that course because it was easy to score.

Thus, I have learnt about theatre, enjoyed my french lessons, discussed about various cultures in anthropology classes, watched plenty of old classics in film classes and contemplate about God in Theology classes. And then suddenly fourth year came and I was counting the CAP points needed to make it to the Dean's List again.
Sure in the end, I got the degree I wanted but this senseless fight have left me a very empty person...but I also could understand this had to be so...I do not regret that I went through that but am glad that I knew that something was wrong...

I am almost 23 years and there is so much about the world that I do not know... it is not a regret but a desire to do something about it.

No comments: