Thursday, June 30, 2005

a passage from a book

it strucked me how true this was and how I have never really thought in this way; or maybe I had but that I never had this ability to put what I feel into words -

"...freedom only exists when love is present. The person who gives him or herself wholly, the person who feels freest, is the person who loves most wholeheartedly.

And the person who loves wholeheartedly feels free.

...In love, no one can harm anyone else; we are each of us responsible for our own feelings and cannot blame someone else for what we feel.

It hurt when I lost each of the various men I fell in love with. Now though, I am convinced that no one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone.

This is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it."

Paulo Coelho in "Eleven Minutes"

2 comments:

J said...

Agree with the line "No one can harm anyone else cox we are responsible for our own feelings" ... Think it can apply to almost everything in life. It's like what Gandhi says " No one can feel you feel inferior without your consent". Likewise, no one can hurt you unless you let them. Wise! Although I agree we don't own anyone, we can lose them in a certain way, cox we lose the right to some things - sharing of the hearts, nice warm hugs, interdependence and such.

Fish n Chips said...

if we can love without any expectations of the other, then will there still be what could be said to be our 'right' to things? Without expectations, then we can simply love freely.