Thursday, October 13, 2005

Traditional Chinese Medicine

Everytime I sit behind the glass panels in the TCM clinic, I also have a sneaking suspicion that all the people outside me are looking at me and wondering why such a young person believes in TCM ? Isn't it something for the old ?

However, as the old chinese adage goes ... "zhi biao bu zhi ben".. I believe that while Western medicine has the means of curing the immediate symptoms and pains, they have no way of curing the root of the illness. And this is what I feel TCM can do for us.

As the female TCM doctor describes " For Western medicine, there are a few standard types of drugs to cure a certain illness. But for Chinese medicine, we analyse each patient unique body conditions and use different combinations of herbs even for just one kind of illness. " This is her response to me when I asked her why she asked me questions like " Do you fear heat or coldness more?", "Do you fly into temper easily?", " Do you feel thirsty easily?" I wasn't expecting that the prescription for a rash issue would require these details ( I was half fearing she would diagnose me with some new disease) and thus, I had to ask her.

If I am not wrong, say if we have a bacterial infection, the Western medicine used would be antibiotics, and that will kill the bacteria. but for Chinese medicine, how it works is to adjust your "qi" such that it create an environment in your body which is uncondusive for the growth of bacteria. Hence, this problem is not only cured now but also prevented in future.

Hence, my support for TCM is growing. While the huge amt of Western medicine I've taken has failed to cure my monthly flus last year, I have encountered almost no such ailments this year round after going for TCM treatment. In fact, for many problems, such as mentrual related pains and such, it can be more effectively tackled by TCM than Western medicine.

And I recalled I once had pain in my tailbone and cox it's internal, it couldn't be reached or massaged physically. Hence, I went for one very painful session of ba guan and zhen jiu and it actually cured me completely. That must have been the time my trust in TCM and treatment started growing.

So if you ever need medicial advice, do give TCM a try.

No comments: