Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Living next to a School

Condo Rafflesia is one of the condos that have caught my attention of late. Some, like the Sail, promise a waterfront experience minutes away from the CBD while Rafflesia's unique selling point is in its close proximity to all the famous Raffles schools, namely RI and RJC.

While this sounds like a perfect nesting ground for the Raffles alumni or the alumni wannabes, I wonder if they fully understand the implications of living near a school.

I have had the first hand experience of living next to a Secondary School for almost half my life and have resolved to avoid this kind of experience when I get my own house in future. See below.

Perils of having a School as your Neighbour

1) Loud ringing of bells at every interval, starting 7.30a.m. You can forget about sleeping in on weekdays.

2) You will soon be able to know by heart the pieces that their band will be performing at the next youth festivals or NDP.

3) Richer schools like the one near me are perpetually upgrading themselves, in terms of building and tearing. Currently they are contructing a new building (again!) and I have been traumatised ever since. The noises start at 8am and it's so loud that you can't sleep, can't dream, can't think, can't study, can't eat and can't do anything but to resist pulling out your hair.

4) If you think having a school near you when you have kids studying there means more sleeping time, well the common statistics are that people living near schools are more likely to arrive late (due to their overconfidence of getting there in time). In fact, I have 2 living examples... my sis (for 6 years) and 1 other fren.

No comments: