Sunday, December 11, 2005

The accelerated aging process

After deciding not to go for zouk-out, my friends and I decided to go to the revamped Mount Faber - called the Jewel Box. As we drove up, the tree of lights reminded me of the Effiel tower, though a poorer sister of course. Alas, as we trudged through the many cars on the winding roads to finally reach the summit, the entire jewel box was booked for a function till 11pm. Hence, we decided to make it down to the Soundbar for some drinks.

Had good talks over too dilluted drinks with enjoyable finger food. Was contemplating fi we should go for the Hip Hop night which seemed rather good, judging from the snaking queues outside the club. And so we went.

Amongst the sea of 18 year old faces, I felt extremely old. While 23 might be the age of empowerment, it is also the age when you can no longer feel right at home with a crowd like this. But one thing comforting about this is that the the bar was not all that crowded as people of their age don't swipe their credit cards like there's no tomorrow, and most transactions were in cash or in coupons. One also feels protected from the leering old men you might come across in some clubs. Thus, in this setting, one can truly enjoy the splendid music and dance to the heart's content.

They often say, the accelerated aging process begins when you cross the big 30. I beg to differ, I think it begins when you start to identify a "us" versus "them" when the age gap is barely 5 years old.

By the way, thought Pride and Prejudice the movie did little justice to Jane Austen's book. At one point, I actually felt quite bored. Think I shall take this afternoon to recapture the wits and the charm that were lost in the movie. And Perhaps Love is quite a good show. My favourite lines in the show as follows:

'You made me love a person I despised, and made me despise myself. And as such, I will despise myself forever'

A splendidly tragic way of saying "I will be loving you forever" don't you think? Absolutely charming. A must-watch.


No comments: